With cold and flu season upon us, learn the 7 best ways to strengthen your immune system now, so you can fight viruses and bacteria faster and you can recover faster. These are recommended guidelines for people of any age, including children.
Here are the 7 best ways to boost your immune system now:
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep. I know, people always say this, but it really is one of the most important things you can do to help your body rest and recover. On a regular basis, go to bed and get up at the same time each day to maintain the same sleep / wake cycles.
- Eat healthy foods and avoid bad ones. Try to eat protein with every meal if you can, such as eggs, a protein shake, beans, lean meat, tree nuts, seeds, and hummus. Also, whole grains are a must and an avocado is very good for you. Avoid refined sugars as they weaken your immune system. If you do catch a cold, avoid dairy and citrus fruits entirely during this time to reduce phlegm and congestion.
- Keep your intestines moving; We often don’t want to talk about this, but it is very important to keep toxins out of your body through your digestive tract.
- Increase the good flora (good bacteria) in your gut / intestines as they are the first line of defense for your immune system. I recommend a good quality probiotic, along with the prebiotic powder to help feed the good bacteria.
- Drink plenty of fluids – As a general rule of thumb, you should drink half your body weight in ounces each day. Good, clean water is recommended. We personally use a reverse osmosis water filtration system in our house and I can tell that the water tastes like it should, and I really want to drink it, which was not the case many years ago as I would drink any other beverage available to me that I did not. be running water.
- Must Supplement: With the average American diet these days, all of us are lacking in our daily allowance of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and more to help stimulate our bodies and function at our optimal level.
- Reduce stress: Many of us are overly active, overly stressed, and our immune systems suffer from it. I recommend a dietary supplement with ashwagandha root and other natural herbs to reduce high levels of cortisol, the stress hormone.